On Thursday 08 May 2014 21:10:46 Sebastian K=FCgler wrote: > Within the Plasma team, many of us would like to go forward using version= 5 > for our upcoming release ("Plasma 5"). We'd like to propose it to be taken > forward. (The version "in the code" is already at 5, anyway.) I told you months ago that flip-flopping on the version number is bad = marketing after you called the next Plasma "version 2" for over a year. Bac= k = then you guys insisted that ignoring the guy who works in marketing and usi= ng = "Plasma 2014.06" was a great idea and now you flip-flop again? If you call it "Plasma 5" you'll definitively end up with everyone referrin= g = to it as "KDE 5". The version number that has been promoted the widest is still "Plasma = (Workspaces) 2". See for example https://duckduckgo.com/?q=3D"plasma+workspaces+2"+site%3Aaseigo.blogspot.com https://duckduckgo.com/?q=3D"plasma+2"+site%3Aaseigo.blogspot.com Maybe you should fix the code and change the necessary instances of = "Plasma/KDE 5" to "Plasma 2". > It communicates continuity No, it communicates flip-flopping as stated above. > It solves a bunch of technical inconsistencies (plasmapkg2 vs kcmshell5 -- > why has one the 2 appended, the other 5?), library sonames are 5 as well. Fedora's KDE packagers say that installing "KDE 4" and "KDE 5" simultaneous= ly = won't be supported anyway. Why kcmshell5 then? Why not simply kcmshell? Why do you think average users will look at that anyway? > It indicates (like we did traditionally) that this is the 5th major versi= on, > building on a new Qt5, and Frameworks 5, we get to re-use that kind of > consistency. For years you guys stressed that Plasma was the first generation of an = entirely new desktop shell and now it's not? I don't get it... _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set d= igest on or temporarily stop your subscription.