List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Suggestion: Establishing a press fact-check team
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar () autistici ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 20:18:11

Dear KDE promo team,
as some of you may know, recently we had at least two cases [1,2] of a certain
news site (Phoronix) reporting about discussions on KDE mailing lists which
were not made public by us yet, and - far worse - getting some important facts
wrong.
Some KDE developers consider such news sites "The FOSS Yellow Press", because
they tend to pick up any news they can get and present them in a way aimed at
maximizing clicks, not producing quality journalism.
We've tried to contact Phoronix' main author on several occasions but got no
reply, so we assume he simply does not want to talk to us.
That by itself isn't a huge problem, since Phoronix is a blog and not a press
website, so people should take what they write with a grain of salt anyways.
The problem is, however, that other, generally more reputable, press sites
tend to pick up news posted there and link to them without properly fact-
checking them first. This, in turn, may lead their readers to think that
Phoronix posts the truth. This problem certainly isn't limited to one blog,
Phoronix is just the most prominent example.
On a Google+ comment thread [3], we discussed how to deal with this situation.
Among the suggestions was to move discussions we don't want media to report on
prematurely to private mailing lists or to try to convince the press to ignore
Phoronix (and other "FOSS Yellow Press" outlets). I think the first suggestion
would be bad for a FOSS project, and the second simply isn't feasible.

What I think would be a more constructive way to deal with the situation is to
task a few people which have good knowledge of - and ideally connections with
- the FOSS press landscape with looking for articles which get facts wrong or
grossly misrepresent something - or link to such articles without proper
accompanying comments - and offer to clarify the facts.
Though this would not keep the "Yellow Press" from spreading nonsense to get
traffic, it would at least keep those sites which care about quality journalism
from repeating that nonsense blindly.

This is not an easy task, as we need to make sure we don't come across as
trying to censor the press, but letting factual errors spread across the FOSS
media landscape is just as dangerous.

Do you think this makes sense? And if so: Are there members of the team
willing and able to take on that task?

Please keep me in CC on your replies, since I'm not subscribed to the promo
list.

Thank you,
Thomas

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU4NjU