List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jos () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2014-02-19 6:10:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Feb 18, 2014 10:49 PM, "David Edmundson" <david@davidedmundson.co.uk>
wrote:

> I think the important thing is to remember is that the promo team
> should be using their relevant expertise to help the developer achieve
> the promotional goals the developer has, I'm concerned that due to
> Vishesh's lack of availability we risk accidentally imposing our own
> agenda.
>
> Vishesh gave me the distinct impression that he wanted to put some
> distance between Nepomuk and Baloo. Vishesh certainly isn't stupid and
> I'm sure well aware of the pros and cons to both approaches, we
> discussed them at length in the office on many occasions. Vishesh is
> certainly going to have the best awareness of the public perception of
> Nepomuk out of any of us here and probably knows best.

This is essentially arguing between 'promo' (promote the heck out whatever
brainfart a KDE developer comes up with) and marketing (pro-actively
developing our brand). While the room for the latter is limited in a
community as open as ours and I once argued even that there is none, I now
do believe there is and should be room for that. Our rebranding was a first
example (at least for me personally) but there is more.

> Personally, I think it is a mistake to continue pushing Nepomuk on the
> premise that we have already put a lot of effort into branding
> Nepomuk. It's a very deliberate change of tact in the code and IMHO
> that should be reflected in how we publish it.

Not perse. A brand is separate from code to a very great degree and we
shouldn't feel forced to change brands upon code changes. While it isn't a
total disconnect I can't think of a reason why we can't decide to
rename-or-not based on pure marketing reasons here.

And yes, vishesh should have a say, but he is smart enough to also listen
to folks who do indeed know more about *marketing* than he does.

I will discuss this with him in person and yes, I feel the backend idea is
a very good one, all things considered.