List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:15:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 14:54:04 you wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:30:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> I'm about half-way there with you. I agree with the principle, but as with
> artwork (where developers still have plenty of say) I think this should be
> in both hands at once.

I agree. With artwork, it is usually a consultation type relationship. The
artist works with the developers, but retains direction and decision making.

> Which puts (as you rightly do) the blame as much on us as anyone - we should
> step up more, as marketing/promo people, when it comes to branding.

More than just "stepping up", a mandate from the development community  to
manage these things is needed, and a group needs to take on that commitment
and execute over the long term. "Stepping up" is not going to produce
consistent results, as seen in this case.

> So yes, perhaps we should have said to Vishesh that Baloo is not a perfect
> name.

I did, and explained why, on a public mailing list. That was ignored. Perhaps
I'm not part of the "we" around these parts anymore, but it was pointed out.

Developer  have the understanding that branding is ultimately a decision made
at their sole discretion, even when it impacts others.

> Meanwhile, I didn't think of anything horrible and still don't feel it is
> that bad *and* it seems nobody has hammered on this point yet - I suggest we
> stick with it.

The name itself is not objectively bad, and that has never been the issue. The
issue is *changing* a name that already exists and for which quite a bit of
effort has been put into. It exists on wikis such as Userbase and Techbase, in
configuration UI (though that has been pushed back to a minimum, more or less),
etc. The lack of continuity not only throws confusion into the air, it removes
what is probably the most obvious and easiest public communications path:
"version 2 addresses the prior version's challenges while retaining its
benefits". Now there is the more complex task of explaining what Baloo does,
what it does differently from Nepomuk, why this necessitated such a big change
... iow we're going to be faced with discussion revolving around
implementation details rather than being able to focus purely of user benefit
stories.

> Besides, in our communication we should indeed call it
> 'search' or 'semantic search' and nothing else anyway.

Agreed ... which is also why introducing a new name publicly is not a great
idea: it makes accomplishing this more difficult.

--
Aaron J. Seigo