List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use new Konqi mascot
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-14 6:20:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 01:26:55 Maarten De Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few months ago there was a competition on the forums to give Konqi a new
> look using Krita.
> This competition was won by tysontan.
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110100
>
> The result is absolutely beautiful and we should start using it more. For
> example in the about dialog (bug: 320053)
> Changing the about dialog to use the new mascot is only a case of changing
> the picture, no code changes needed.
> Before example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f57s2dohajrnjy9
> /AboutDialog-Before.png
> After example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jga53ybs1bci8nz
> /AboutDialog-After.png
>
> Now, do we want this already?
> Changing the mascot gives a very 'new product' feeling. SC 4.11 (or later)
> is hardly a revolutionary release. Frameworks 5 on the other hand will be
> very new and it might make more sense to add the new mascot.
>
> I'm not sure where or when we should add it so I'm asking for feedback
> here.
> This image is excellent promo. It adds a female dragon that shows everybody
> is welcome in the community and the image shows what Krita can make in the
> hands of an artist.

For what it's worth, I can only think 'do it, already'!

I'm not an artist (and am very much aware that I have no eye for design) so my
praise means nothing but unlike Ossi (who should be deeply ashamed of how he's
been communicating) I believe in our artists and more importantly in 'who does
the work, decides'. So let's use the new konqi.

As a matter of fact, there is a dire need for new artwork. I not only like to
see your example about dialog implemented asap but also other things. We can
use some nice button and sticker designs in various sizes, a t-shirt design
and we need a KDE flyer still. That could (should) have our new konqi's on it,
too :D

We can improve the artwork on the go, imho - Aaron has some suggestions, I'm
fine with anything; artwork always can use further polishing, just like code.
I don't see immediate improvement as a requirement before use.

I'm deeply sorry for any negativity in this thread. I haven't been following
this list lately but rest assured that if I had I would have requested Ossi to
be banned from the list and this thread locked after an apology mail.

Greetings,
Jos