List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use new Konqi mascot
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-06-09 18:43:24

On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 01:59:34AM +0200, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 09:49:48 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > - as you pointed out yourself, konqi has an enormous emotional
> > significance. changing now is some 100 times harder than when he was
> > introduced. especially without really good reasons.
>
> I'm trying to understand where you are coming from on this matter, Ossi, and
> perhaps you can help me:
>
> Is it safe to say that your motivation for engaging in this topic is your
> emotional attachment to the current konqi, or that you feel others are
> emotionally attached to the current konqi?

i didn't speak of attachment. i spoke of significance. that may include
attachment (sure as hell it does for some). for others it may be a sense
of identity/tradition/continuity/order/whatever. and then there is
investment of money and/or labour, both of which have emotional
significance (of individually varying degrees).

i assure you that it doesn't matter how much you tell tomaz that this
change does not pertain his costume - it certainly wouldn't be the same
for him once konqui 1.0 was declared obsolete, in particular if this
happened abruptly, by committee.

"somebody thought something radically new was in order" simply doesn't
cut it for a widely accepted mascot. i'll simply refer to common sense
here, despite this term being a minefield.