List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use new Konqi mascot
From:       Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-06-08 20:13:03

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud@valdyas.org> wrote:
> If you think that after your acts of gratuitous verbal violence and
> intentional agression there is a way you can approach Tyson and "put him to
> good use", you are not just showing yourself as someone who isn't acquainted
> with the most basic decencies needed for human interaction,
> you're also displaying a complete lack of insight in what makes people
> contribute.
>
> No artist will stand for being treated like this. This isn't the kernel
> mailing list and you're not Linus Torvalds.
>
> I understand that you sent these mails earlier, that they were held up in
> moderation and that you were making trouble to get them approved. Frankly,
> that is something _I_ completely fail to understand. These mails might
> be borderline constructive, but...
>
> For the good of KDE, you really should consider dropping your involvement in
> this discussion. Apart from an unreserved, direct and full apology you
> cannot do anything positive or productive. Anything else just you stroking
> your own ego.
>
> With your rants you blew it, Oswald. Big time. You made people who have
> contributed a huge amount to the community leave and you gave us a black eye
> with the community of artists I've been nurturing around Krita so
> carefully.
>
> I hope that you are beginning to realize that.
>

> On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 11:48:28PM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > >
> > > Konqi [...] wasn't our first mascot [13],
> > >
> > that's an interesting point. i think there are two key differences here:
> > - as you pointed out yourself, konqi has an enormous emotional
> > significance. changing now is some 100 times harder than when he was
> > introduced. especially without really good reasons.
> > - nobody tried to market konqi as kandalf 2.0 (and as far as i'm
> > concerned, that would be only about twice as absurd as the current
> > proposal).
> >
> > as far as i can see, there are two reasonable ways to put the outcome of
> > the contest to use:
> > - ignore the actual artwork and put the artist to good use to actually
> > modernize konqi (which is kinda what nuno implied)
> > - make the new artwork even more dissimilar to a dragon, stop claiming
> > that it is the new konqi, and try to organically introduce it as
> > something entirely new
> >
> > these options are not mutually exclusive, for that matter.

Well,

I have just one thing agains the change, I was following the thread
for a while and how it's time that I should step in.
I'v managed to build a *HUGE* konqui costume ( 25kgs of material ),
and it was used for just one year, if we change the mascott now, I
will have no use for it, besides donating to charity. méh.

if anybody from this thread didn't see it, it's
http://blog.filipesaraiva.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AywV_3tCAAARZfd.jpg

I also build six cartooned konqui-style bottons  ( konqui surfer,
konqui native-indian, konqui programmer, etc ) to give in conventions,
that would be discarted as well.

Not complaining - just exposing simple facts.
I really don't want to throw the big costume on the trash bin.

Tomaz