List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] dot story writer needed for GSoC summary
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-02 15:14:19

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Stuart Jarvis <jarvis@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 Oct 2012 09:10:10 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Stuart Jarvis <jarvis@kde.org> wrote:
>> > I should be able to put some time into this on Tuesday - please poke me
>> > Tuesday morning if input is still needed by then - I'll try and remember
>> > take a look at it anyway, but a reminder will help me :-)
>>
>> *poke*
>
> hehe, thanks :-)
>
>> Thanks so much for helping!
>
> I can't get the typepad page to load - anyone else have any luck with it? (or
> anyone else have the text saved locally and able to send it to me?)
>
> Cheers,
> Stu

Hi Stu

Thanks for taking this on. Typepad text attached. Pretty sparse.

Last year, this was quite a production. There were 3 dot stories. I'm
pretty sure that every GSoC participant was mentioned along with what
they worked on.
http://dot.kde.org/2011/09/26/google-summer-code-achievements-chapter-one.
With links to the other stories.

Let me know if you want some help with this.

Carl

["GSoC2012WriteupDraft.txt" (text/plain)]

KDE has again taken part in Google Summer of Code as its biggest participating \
organization. Fifty-nine out of mind-boggling sixty projects have been completed \
successfully. Lots of new things have been learned, lots of code has been written and \
fun has been had. GSOC is over but the code has not gone away and the work is not \
finished. Over the next months, many of the students will continue to be part of KDE, \
integrate the code for future releases, improve it, maintain it, become more part of \
KDE. For now, however, pencils are down and we can congratulate the students: it was \
a great summer and we enjoyed having you around!

<h2>Lots of variety</h2>
Many different KDE projects have been involved in Google Summer of Code 2012, \
including core libraries (kdelibs), accessibility, education, games, graphics, \
multimedia and PIM. Prominent KDE projects that are shipped independently from the \
KDE SC have also taken part, such as Amarok, the music player; Calligra, the office \
suite; Choqok, the microblogging client; Gluon, the game engine and KDevelop, the \
IDE.

The projects undertaken by students varied from under-the-hood code tweaking to \
reimplementing parts of the software using new technologies like QtQuick and QML or \
to improve the user interface. Not every success will be noticed by our users \
immediately: some of the projects focused on performance optimization, some will only \
prove fruitful in the future. Of course, to our developers and mentors every project \
and every effort was very dear and precious!

<h2>Thank you, great meeting you - and don't be strangers!</h2>
We would like to thank Google for this opportunity, congratulate our students once \
more for their success, and invite them to stay with us. Keep hacking on KDE, keep \
learning and maybe participate again in Google Summer of Code next year, as students \
or even as mentors, helping others get as much as possible out of the experience!

http://img.hades.name/gsoc-kde-screenshot-1.png
http://img.hades.name/gsoc-kde-screenshot-2.png
http://img.hades.name/gsoc-kde-screenshot-3.png
http://img.hades.name/gsoc-kde-screenshot-4.jpeg