List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Video promoting KDE
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-03-15 20:31:31

Hey,

On Thursday 15 March 2012 14:21:27 heathmatlock wrote:
> It's my first attempt at promoting KDE through video:
> http://youtu.be/H0xIfSyio_c

Firstly, it's very cool - I like it very much :-)

> I realize the rendering is off a bit, and I'll try working on that,
> but I figure something is better than nothing. The idea is to create a
> series of these videos over the coming months, and eventually make a
> commercial quality video in the end.

That's a good idea, so here are some thoughts for future iterations:

- You concentrate on the software (which is fine) but then you shoud say 'what
makes KDE software great', not what makes KDE (= the community that makes KDE
software) great.
- The font, while nice, screams Kubuntu at me (I may be wrong, but I think
it's the Kubunut/Ubuntu font?) If so, maybe go for something more distro-
agnostic. I think there's a reccommended KDe font, but I can't think what it
is right now
- It's really great for me to watch as someone who knows the software and the
features quite well, but I think some more text overlays would be ncie to say
what's going on, for example:
-- when tiling windows, say something like 'easily tile windows to maximise
your space' (you can probably think of a better way to say it)
-- when swithcing between activities, again state what is happening (btw,
that's a really great way to show the activites concept in my opinion)
--maybe give your demo activities more descriptive names, such as 'movies' etc

Thumbs up for using a CC-licenced music track /and/ remembering to put the
required credits :-)

Overall, it's very very promising, imho. We could use such a thing at our
booths at exhibitons probably, if we can find a screen or projector to put it
on a loop - plus the obvious use on YouTube, maybe kde.org etc...

Cheers,
Stu

--
Stuart Jarvis
KDE Marketing Working Group, Promotion Team and KDE.News

Experience Freedom with KDE
http://www.kde.org/