List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Subtopic: KDE and Ebook --- Spark and KDE and Tablet-Projects for Schools in Nieders
From:       Ulrich Drolshagen <ulrich.drolshagen () bbs1uelzen ! de>
Date:       2012-03-07 17:48:08

Am 07.03.2012 18:13, schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > That is not new. Teachers have done that former times with chissors,
> > glue and photocopier. The new thing is that we digitize the material
> > so that it is freely distributable. This is obviously usefull (that's
> > why we are doing it) and at the same time highly illegal. The
> > departments of education are not willing to pay for this practice so
> > the content owners insist on means to control what is stored on our
> > servers. We had a discussion about some school trojan crawling school
> > nets for illegal content lately.
> Just a side note: this would have to be verified by a legal expert. Content
> right holders are notorious for trying to make people believe that what they
> are doing is illegal while actual law says otherwise.
>
> Aside from the very common right to do citations, countries have often special
> exceptions for educational purposes.

Jep, they have. But this agreement says basically: No citation over 12%
or max 20 pages from works created for educational purposes. No citation
at all from such works if these do not have more than 25 pages at all
(Gesamtvertrag zum Fotokopieren an Schulen, 2010.01.20). For instance.
We use students work books on certain topics. Every student has his own
payed and therefor legal copy. To compare the answers the students found
for their excercises we made pdf-files from the workbook pages to show
them on the video projector. This is illegal and the content owners are
after such uses right now. In the same time not providing us with the
needed media as they fear to loose control of their content. Sounds like
music industry doesn't it?

Ulrich