List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Spark and KDE and Tablet-Projects for Schools in Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony/Germany
From:       Ulrich Drolshagen <ulrich.drolshagen () bbs1uelzen ! de>
Date:       2012-03-06 7:15:59

Am 06.03.2012 02:39, schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
> On Monday 05 March 2012 Ulrich Drolshagen wrote:
> > If you want to have the slightest chance to get even considered for the
> > deal, you will have to talk to the schoolbook publishers. The most
> > important of them seem to be  Westermann and Bildungsverlag Eins.  If
> > you don't get them into your boat forget about the project. If you do,
> > you will have a deal.
> Where does this strong requirement come from? Is this just the practical need
> to have access to the books you are used to, or is there more behind this?
There are two points here. You can not just use some book in school.
Every book used in school needs an approval by the department of
education of the respective state, called Kultusministerium in Germany.
Teachers are hard working men and women. Every content they have not to
create themselves makes their lives easier. For instance: I had a hard
time justifying the use of StarOffice (becoming Open- and Libreoffice by
the time) as all Schoolbooks on business software were Microsoft Office
related at that time. And creating materials for something like
Libreoffice, KDE not to speak of, is difficult as it is a moving target.
Creating excercises for mathamatics that make sense is a lot of work. It
is much easier to just use a schoolbook.
> Do you think there is an opportunity for collaboratively created content in
> this space, something like a Wikipedia for school books?
I am not very optimistic concerning my generation of teachers. We have a
long tradition in being lone warriors. But this is going to change
eventually. Giving lessons is a very individual thing depending on
personality, the individuals you are teaching and the social setting you
both are living in. So you will not see two indentical lessons on the
same topic. It's like with cooking. What we need are some convenience
products to support what we are doing individually. Ever cooked spinach
from the raw plant? Using the deep-frozen one is much easier without
loosing much of the benefits of an individually cooked meal. You get the
picture.
> The initiative of the publishers seems to be this: http://digitale-
> schulbuecher.de/ Right?
Exactly. I did not know that they have an online platform. They seem to
have just started.
> Linux doesn't seem to exist there and it seems to be heavily based on DRM. Not
> the ideal enviroment. But it would need some more details about the technology
> behind it to be able to tell, if it still could fit into an open platform.

You just got it. Linux is not existent as it is, as is now, not DRM
aware. And you will not be able to create an alternative ecosystem of
open content as you will need the approval of the department of
education for that content. There will be no way into the schools
without the schoolbook publishers and their content.

Ulrich