List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] FOSDEM T-Shirts online?
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-09 16:57:50

Hey,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Martin Klapetek
<martin.klapetek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 15:46, tjbarber09@gmail.com <tjbarber09@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > while I was staying at the KDE booth at FOSDEM, mostly close to the
> > > end people were asking, if those shirts we had there will be available
> > > online as well. Might be nice to have an official online eshop again and
> > > sell KDE merchandise.

We do have gearwear.spreadshirt.com and kde-gear.spreadshirt.net
Also, I think Chani had a store with some stickers.

I know neither are really what you mean because they are not fully KDE
managed. IIRC, Justin and Sebas were admins on those stores, Justin
hasn't been around lately and Sebas is surely busy enough, so I'm sure
some help would be welcome :-) Also in telling people they exist,
which we don't really do.

Note: at present, KDE sells all items at cost price and so does not
take any revenue.

> > > Though I fully realize what it takes to run an eshop
> > > and I'm not sure if the profits would cover the amount of work.
> >
> > I've been working a lot with an eCommerce platform called BigCartel that
> > would probably take a good bit of the grunt work out of it. They host the
> > files and all that. The thing about it is that it's a closed platform in
> > the sense
> > that they're not using something like Drupal or Magento, but it could
> > help
> > bring profits in without having to deal with more code and getting some
> > people
> > to run it. I'd like to hear others thoughts on the matter.
>

> I meant more the administrative side of the work - someone has to take care
> of the stock supplies, someone needs to send out the stuff, take care of the
> money etc. Given that the only paid employee of KDE e.V. is Claudia in the
> Berlin office and she is very busy already, we have noone who would take
> care of that. Setting up the web is moreless a weekend's work :)

Yep, the logistics are the big thing. That's why we only went with
managed solutions in the past. Perhaps though, if someone wanted to
set up such a store, KDE e.V. could licence some trademarks/artwork on
a revenue share basis... That's just me speculating, of course.

Cheers,
Stu