List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Hello everyone!
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-01 13:48:07

Hi and welcome to KDE!

I included you in cc in case you did not subscribe to the list yet - if you
didn't, then please do so :-) [1]

On Tuesday 31 Jan 2012 21:34:36 tjbarber09@gmail.com wrote:
> My name is T.J. Barber and I have been a Linux user since 2005, so I'm
> still kind of young in the Linux world. Heck, I was really young in the
> real world when I started. I was the only preteen I knew that used Linux. I
> first used KDE 3 in 2005 on SuSE Linux 9.3 Professional and adored it. It
> totally slammed the competition of its time. I kind of went through a time
> where I drifted away from open-source software, but I keep coming back to
> it because I love community and I hate the trash released by Apple and
> Microsoft (most of the time). I am writing this on a MacBook Pro, but OS X
> is just *not* KDE. Let's put it this way: The only good apps released for
> OS X and Windows are KDE SC and the original version of Halo (but I
> digress).

I guess you're too young to remember the original Doom? ;-)

> So I'm now using KDE 4.7 on Kubuntu 11.10 and feel like I'm home. I really
> feel like this is where I need to be, and I have to thank you guys for
> working so hard to make KDE and the world a better place. I really want to
> join and help spread the word about KDE, and hopefully contribute to KDE in
> other ways too.

That's great :-) What kind of things would you be interested in? Are you
signed up to this list? If so, you'll see calls for people to help out at
events and help with writing articles etc. If you like writing, then articles
for the Dot [2] are always welcome, you can get some ideas of the kind of
things we are interested in by looking at past stories and our guidance [3].

A fun one might be interviewing the Commit Digest team about what it takes to
put together the weekly commit digest and what motivates them.

Depending whereabouts you are based, there might also be a national/local Kde
group that you should get in touch with as quite a lot is done by small local
teams - if you're not sure then ask here and maybe we can give some ideas.

> I'm a web designer and am learning more about web
> development, so if someone needs help and involves this area feel free to
> harness my capabilities to help spread the word about KDE.

You might also want to contact the web team directly (kde-www@kde.org) as I
know they have a lot of things to be working on - there are likely jobs
involving Wordpress, Drupal, the forums (phpbb?) and mediawiki - as well as
bits of php, html and css.

> Hope to be of
> help somewhere! =)

I'm sure you will. You've already taken the first step :-)

Cheers,
Stu

[2] http://dot.kde.org/
[3] http://dot.kde.org/content/contact-dot-editors

--
Stuart Jarvis
KDE Marketing Working Group, Promotion Team and KDE.News

Experience Freedom with KDE
http://www.kde.org/