List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 15th KDE birthday
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-03 21:15:01

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia@kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 21:39, Carl Symons <carlsymons@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 15th birthday Dot article done. text version attached.
> >
> > Please send suggestions or corrections.
> >
> > Still need awesome logo...any news? What should it look like?
> >
> > Carl
>
> Hey :)
>
> Looks good. One thing though: I believe it's not enough time to
> organize good parties so I'd also offer other things that were
> suggested in the etherpad:
> * donate 15 Euros or more to KDE e.V.
> * test 15 bugs and see if they're still relevant
> * tell 15 people about why you love KDE
> * spend at least 15 minutes on testing a program and filing bugs
> * spend at least 15 minutes updating a few pages on userbase
> * spend at least 15 minutes answering questions on the forum
> * spend at least 15 minutes helping someone in #kde on freenode
> * ...
>
> Those are things people can do without much coordination. If they do
> parties that's of course awesome too.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

I intended to make those suggestions with the 14 October article in
accord with Stu's mail from 19 September. It would work to do that now
too, or at least open people's eyes to possibilities.

Considering this just now, I think that it would work best to offer
this kind of suggestion closer in to the 14th. 1- Set the stage now
and get people thinking. 2 - Do a Dot story in a week or so offering
such suggestions and inviting comments from people about what they
plan. 3 - Do the 14 Oct Dot story as Stu suggested.

I went through the donations process starting at kde.org. It seems
clunky...multiple links on the targeted page that go to the same
place. A direct link to PayPal in one spot with no setup for the jump.
In another is this..."The preferred way to donate to KDE is by using
our [PayPal-link] account.", and the link goes directly to PayPal
again. It could be a lot easier for people to donate.

Carl