List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: [SPAM] Re: kde haters' blog
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-22 16:30:13

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 14, 2011 05:33:34 Dion Moult wrote:
> > Anyways, I think we have an appropriate time coming up for a Hate Week. 4.7
>
> first: such feedback is meaningless without a corresponding effort to address
> the issues. work is what is important, not words.
>
> second: communicating in the negative voice is how one creates negative
> mindsets which translate to discouragement.
>
> there are ways of addressing challenges using the positive voice, and really
> what is needed is not pointing out every single problem that exists but
> understanding what we actually have.

[snip]

> so please .. let's not focus so much on the haters. let's not reward the
> negativity. let's be willing to stand up for what we're good at, which is
> quite a lot, and not feel compelled to point to what we aren't as good at.
>
> if we create a space of positive energy that will spread. and we can identify
> things that need improving and keep improvements going at the same time,
> because one can work on raising the bar of quality and capability in a
> positive way.
>

> personally, i often find myself exhausted from having to prop up the spirits
> of co-contributors year after year because they get dragged down. i find
> myself tired out from dealing with the latest "we suck" whinge fest on
> planet.kde.org. i do not understand why we wish to behave like crabs in a
> bucket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
>
> this is honestly the one thing that makes me seriously consider leaving KDE
> altogether on an unfortunately frequent basis. i stay, however, in constant
> hope that we can learn as a community how to communicate in the positive
> voice.
>
> perhaps this would be a good goal for kde-promo for the next year?
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

I completely agree, Aaron...across the board. I appreciate your
contributions to the positive conversations. The positive, vibrant KDE
community is what draws me to participate...it's an infinite game
worth playing.

For me, the negative crap is more indicative of the "speaker" than
what is being spoken about...however, it's not my work that people are
caviling about. I look at the Commit-Digest weekly...there's an
incredible amount of meaningful work being done. And yet the negative
comments appear. To make it worse, on balance, the negative comments
are not actionable.

It makes me think that providing a forum for open, even supportive of
complaining encourages some who hold the opinion that it's somehow
therapeutic. In addition, there's something in the geek culture (and
broader culture too) that values cynical comment. Apparently, it's
amusing to goad someone to overreacting.

It's not feasible to limit comments to developers. However, someone
here suggested that comments be managed in accord with the KDE code of
conduct.

KDE Promo should take this on, with purpose. We can start with
aggressively managing Dot comments guided by
http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/. I suppose that can happen on
https://bugs.kde.org/ too, although KDE Promo isn't as directly
involved...maybe that could change.

Aaron, thank you for working with the developers. I am grateful for
the value KDE provides me many hours nearly every day.

Carl

Carl