List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: [SPAM] Re: kde haters' blog
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-07-22 9:28:20

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday, June 14, 2011 05:33:34 Dion Moult wrote:
> Anyways, I think we have an appropriate time coming up for a Hate Week. 4.7

first: such feedback is meaningless without a corresponding effort to address
the issues. work is what is important, not words.

second: communicating in the negative voice is how one creates negative
mindsets which translate to discouragement.

there are ways of addressing challenges using the positive voice, and really
what is needed is not pointing out every single problem that exists but
understanding what we actually have.

something perhaps astounding: i see more iPhones with cracked screens than all
other phones combined, by an order of magnitude. the iPhone is never taken to
task for this. why? apple communicates consistently in the positive voice and
their closest bunch of followers do the same. they achieve this through
various means, but the fact is that they keep their communication consistently
positive and focussed on what they do well. so with all the blatant failings
of their devices, they still don't suffer a fraction of the kind of hate our
products with far less reach than theirs receive. fascinating, no?

we should consider that we do this to ourselves by encouraging the use of the
negative voice in our community. we find it completely natural to seriously
suggest that we write "Hate" to each other. and if *we* do it, as KDE's core
community, what will our closest followers do? yes, we will, and do, attract
the sort of people whose voice matches what ours is.

so please .. let's not focus so much on the haters. let's not reward the
negativity. let's be willing to stand up for what we're good at, which is
quite a lot, and not feel compelled to point to what we aren't as good at.

if we create a space of positive energy that will spread. and we can identify
things that need improving and keep improvements going at the same time,
because one can work on raising the bar of quality and capability in a
positive way.

personally, i often find myself exhausted from having to prop up the spirits
of co-contributors year after year because they get dragged down. i find
myself tired out from dealing with the latest "we suck" whinge fest on
planet.kde.org. i do not understand why we wish to behave like crabs in a
bucket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

this is honestly the one thing that makes me seriously consider leaving KDE
altogether on an unfortunately frequent basis. i stay, however, in constant
hope that we can learn as a community how to communicate in the positive
voice.

perhaps this would be a good goal for kde-promo for the next year?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se