List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: The Future of our Frameworks
From:       "Anne-Marie Mahfouf" <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2011-06-29 8:12:40

On Sun June 26 2011 18:55:39 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 June 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:17:08 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> > > I had exactly the same question because IMHO there is a confusion
> > > between "framework" and "library" here.
> > >
> > > Library = set of related functions and helper methods and classes
> > >
> > > Framework = Library + a "way" of working with it (i. e. workflow,
> > > tools you need to use, conventions, etc). For instance, Rails is a
> > > framework because it imposes a set of conventions you cannot change
> > > (and you webapps will not work unless you follow them)
> > >
> > > I'd say with the modularization we are splitting into *libraries*,
> > > not into frameworks because we do not impose a set of rules,
> > > tools, workflow, etc to work with it.
> >
> > It's "vague on purpose", as we refer to libraries, but also more
> > complex things such as Akonadi.
>
> I had a look at what Wikipedia says about frameworks. AFAICT the
> definition of "software framework" [1] is a good fit for what we mean.
>

> Regards,
> Ingo
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_framework

OK that answers the question.
The French wikipedia page keeps "framework" for translation so it's probably
what we'll do as well. Words are important for promotion and in an
international project such as KDE it is fundamental to get them right in all
languages. "Framework" is a new concept and there are no translations for it,
keeping "framework" is the best we can do.

Best regards,

Anne-Marie