List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: The Future of our Frameworks
From:       Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles () elpauer ! org>
Date:       2011-06-07 10:17:08

Hi,

I had exactly the same question because IMHO there is a confusion
between "framework" and "library" here.

Library = set of related functions and helper methods and classes

Framework = Library + a "way" of working with it (i. e. workflow,
tools you need to use, conventions, etc). For instance, Rails is a
framework because it imposes a set of conventions you cannot change
(and you webapps will not work unless you follow them)

I'd say with the modularization we are splitting into *libraries*, not
into *frameworks* because we do not impose a set of rules, tools,
workflow, etc to work with it.

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org