List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: The Little Game - final version.
From:       Justin Kirby <justin () neomantra ! org>
Date:       2011-03-30 21:53:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Lukas <1lukas1@gmail.com> wrote:

> 26 replies so far (~20% participation rate), great :)  On the other hand
> 83% views came from direct links, and none from some real blog. If you are
> interested in stats - http://bit.ly/KDE_Survey2011+

Fantastic :)

>> Cool!  One thought...in terms of how we market this (if anyone is going to
>> blog about it) we might want to focus around it being about "idea
>> collection" rather than a typical survey.  I've gotten some comments from
>> people who have said
>>
>> 1) this data will be hard to analyze and
>> 2) this looks like a lot of typing.
>>
>> I think that in a traditional survey where you're trying to figure out the
>> most popular answer to certain questions the first part is a valid concern
>> but to me this is more about getting fresh/new ideas which we could use to
>> highlight KDE's strengths and potentially fix weaknesses, or the perception
>> of such weaknesses, rather than just trying to tabulate what answer came up
>> the most.
>>
>> That second point is valid, but unfortunately for the type of information
>> we're trying to collect I think it's unavoidable.  If we had pre-selected
>> answers for people to just click radio buttons we wouldn't get any new ideas
>> out of the activity.  Hopefully it will at least mean anyone that takes the
>> time to answer will have some thoughtful input even if the total participant
>> count ends up being lower.
>>

> Cant agree more :) Even if we finally get 100 responses - its still doable.
> Especially then most of the input is done with  "keep it short" in mind.
> With closed question we would never have such survey. I hardly imagine all
> interesting options (including hard ones)written down and approved.
>
> Also multiple-choice surveys are less reliable, since the tone of the
> suggested answers can manipulate answers by as much as 50% or more :(
>
> Anyway, when survey will be closed (is 1 week enough?) I'd like to post
> results and insights of the ideas collected. Is there a chance to get a blog
> for that purpose added to planet KDE? If so, whom shall I contact?

I think we've not done much work advertising it yet so I don't think we
should close it so soon.  No need to impose a hard deadline just yet imo.
 Let's see if we can get another surge of people to do it if we promote it a
bit more.

I've grown very lazy about writing blog posts for planetkde but I could do
this if nobody else has time.  But first, are there any other takers to do
this?

Lukas, if you have a blog you can find the rules about getting onto the
planet at: http://planetkde.org/.  Just click the "Add your blog" link at
the top for instructions.

-Justin