List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: KDE 4.6 LiveDVD
From:       Justin Kirby <justin () neomantra ! org>
Date:       2011-03-24 3:03:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Markus Slopianka <markus.s@kdemail.net>wr=
ote:

> Am Donnerstag 24 M=E4rz 2011, 02:49:52 schrieb Justin Kirby:
> > Aaron has pointed them out to me more than once, but I
> > think the following parallel still holds true.  Imagine if MS called it
> > "Windows and Applications 7" or Apple said "OS and Applications X (or
> > 10)".
>
> I don't care what Aaron said. He's not Jesus. He's not always right. He's
> no anyone's
> boss. Just because Aaron has an opinion on something, not everyone else h=
as
> to blindly
> adopt it.

Hmm, well in that sentence I had just finished saying how despite his
opinions I still disagreed with him on this issue so I'm not sure where thi=
response came from.  I do respect Aaron for all the work he does for KDE,
but certainly don't feel that means we have to agree about everything.  In
any case, it's not necessary to make such strongly worded statements as you
have here.

> Comparing the SC to Windows or OSX is just wrong because neither of the
> latter two include
> remotely the same amount and range of applications. No office suite is
> included in them,
> for example (those are sold separately).

You realize that you are now siding with Aaron's logic in this debate? :)
 In any case that's fine if neither of you agree (though honestly if you've
bought a PC lately you'd see that most vendors like Dell, HP, Apple, etc
provide lots of pre-loaded software just like a linux distro...but that's a
tangent here).  None of this was the point of my email.  I was trying to
give background on the 2 year dialog over the branding stuff as best I coul=
to try and focus the context of this discussion a bit so we don't turn a
nice effort to put out a live CD into a full scale branding debate again.

Thomas suggested adopting the promo material style. That could go as far as
> not even
> mentioning software on the front cover. Maybe, just maybe, the slogan
> "Elegantly yours"
> could be incorporated in a way like
> "Your computer
> Elegantly yours"
> (not the best phrase because it says "your" two times but you probably ge=
> the idea).

I also like this solution for this particular situation.  It totally
circumvents the need to continue the branding discussion in this context.
 We can save it for another day when something really useful isn't being
held up in the balance.

-Justin