List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: The little game !!!
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-17 12:55:04

Hey,

First, welcome aboard kde-promo! I'll also try and get to your earlier email
in a few minutes.

On Wednesday 16 March 2011 23:39:44 Lukas wrote:
> Lets assume tomorrow you were asked to convince some random people to
> switch and start using KDE

To be slightly awkward, but also make an (imho) important point, what do you
mean here by 'KDE'? Plasma Desktop? Plasma Netbook? The apps in the software
compilation? The apps not in the software compilation (like Amarok, K3B,
digiKam). All of the above?

Partly that's a please use the new terms point ;-) But I think it is also
important when we think about promoting our software, since the messages for
different parts can be different. Anyway, when I reply privately with my list in
a few minutes, I'll assume we're talking about all KDE software.

> , since its the most freaking awesome software
> on earth to use on day-to-day basis. Now write down the arguments you
> would use to do so. The next list - the arguments you would like to be
> able to use (but those functions/features/etc is not yet implemented).
> Third list - the list of location you would like to do so.
>
> Finally - next to each argument write down the probability how likely you
> would expect reasonable person to be convinced by that argument (10 -
> he/she will start using KDE immediately/unconditionally , 1 -  why would I
> have to even hear about it).

This also depends very much on the audience of course :-) But that's
nitpicking, so I'll go for random windows user who hasn't really heard about
free software except maybe Firefox.

> p.s. It would be nice if you could also write down your
> role/responsibilities related to KDE/forward this game to other KDE core
> people.

I think the blog post Aaron suggests is probably best for this - if you ask
people to specify their role (if any) in KDE then you can get a feel for
internal and external views.

So, I'll send my list shortly.

Cheers,
Stu