List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Join The Game website
From:       Emil Sedgh <emilsedgh () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-27 22:28:13

Hi.

On Panj shanbe, Bahman 07, 1389 10:24:37 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> have the three ideas that are there and phrase them as open questions; get
> rid of the "Four reasons to join us" header in the process.
>
> If you want software that is elegant and powerful ... learn how
> If you desire the freedom to use and share creative works .. . learn how
> If you value your data and privacy ... learn how
>
> where the "learn how" phrases would be links to pages describing how your
> money makes that possible. ok, i utterly dislike the three phrases i just
> wrote, but what do you think of that general idea/direction of posing them
> as open questions for the reader to self-identify with?
I actually like the idea pretty much. The only thing is, i dont think we
should bore user and take him to any other page. The second user feels bored,
he'll close the tab. IMHO, user should get what this page is and gets
convinced that he should click on 'Join now' button very fast.

Also, by now user probably knows 'how' he is going to achieve the tree items.
He doesnt need to 'learn' that at this point.

> a "discover how" or "learn how" links under the main pitch text (the 8.33 /
> month bit) would also be great imho.
>
> i could help write the text for those pages as well if needed and wanted.
> what's the timeline for this re-up?
I actually hoped we could get this up and running for release. So we're
already late. Im hoping we can get it running by the time it gets more
attention, like before getting slashdotted.

> i think that would make a lot of sense as a separate page linked from the
> main pitch paragraph. or do you think we should keep it short enough to
> fit on the main page? my concern is that to really show that we do enough
> with that money to justify your investment, it needs to be longer than
> short :)
please remember that we are already showing a few pieces of text to user. This
isnt a very advanced topic. We should be able to describe the whole thing in a
few sentences. Or user gets bored.
Maybe a menu item in menu that points to such a page would be cool, but IMHO,
we shouldnt really insist on it.

> btw, the middle, grey bar text changed from "Join the game" to "Help KDE be
> all it is, and more". imho, now that "Join the game" doesn't appear
> anywhere, the theme is lost? personally, i prefered the more
> participation-oriented and exciting "Join the game" there in the middle
> where it really hits home nicely.

will bring it back.

> what i _might_ do on the join process pages is remove the "Join the game"
> image from the slideshow: they are already doing that, we don't need to be
> more purshy about  it at that point ;) keeping the other images works
> great, though, imho .. esp if we had a "the freedom" one for there.
will do it soon.

p.s: this kind of feedback is very very awesome and motivating. makes me feel
like people really really care. Thanks!