List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: 4.6 Releases Need You!
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-01-17 10:41:34

Hey,

On Sunday, January 16, 2011 13:42:25 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> I just spent a bit of time on the 4.6 release announcements [1] based on
> the  guidance we discussed over the past few months [2]. This includes
> changing the titles a bit.
>
> I've also moved some things like Oxygen revamps into the KDE Platform (as
> they  are part of the underlying KDE stuff that is available to the
> workspaces, apps and anything built on the Platform).
>
> Looking at this and the time we have left (a little over a week) I think
> we  have to be realistic and accept that we are not going to make a good
> set of release announcements and a good in-depth feature guide for the 4.6
> releases. Obviously this is not ideal, but we've lost some key people so
> many of us are doing this for the first time and many of us have been very
> busy with other things, so I don't think we should to beat ourselves up
> about it. We can review things at the upcoing promo sprint to review and
> make sure we kick-ass for 4.7 and beyond :-)
>
> Anyway, if you accept that, I think it makes more sense to concentrate on
> the  announcements. With that in mind, I have transferred material from
> the feature guide [3] to the announcements. They still need work - there
> must be a lot more cool stuff to talk about on the application front for
> example.
>
> So questions:
> - Sebas - can you deal with all the html formatting or should we do that
> in  the shared doc?

I can deal with that, having the texts good quality, it becomes manageable.

> - Sebas (again...) - the discussions at Akademy concluded that we should
> not  have an SC announcement and only the 3 announcements: workspaces,
> apps and platform. Is this practical from the www infrastructure pov right
> now - can we have three announcements linked directly from the www front
> page? Or do we need a little SC announcement somewhere that just points to
> the others? (as per 4.5)

It's something that's in our hands, one umbrella announcement makes it easier
to do within our current process/setup, but we should be able to squeeze in
three, too.

We'll need a short SC blurb anyway, since we cannot send out three warnings to
the press channel, and then again three announcements. People would
(rightfully) hate us for spamming.

> - Anyone running 4.6 pre-releases - We need screenshots. If you don't have
> somewhere else to store them, you can use the promo wiki for upload. Or
> mail  them to me an I can host them. Please add links in the announcement
> texts.

For screenshots, please keep in mind the following:

- use the standard wallpaper (Horos)
- use Oxygen as widget set
- use default colors
- use a sans-serif font, preferable Liberation point size 9

Collecting screenshots from different sources is very difficult, and we end up
with a mess if we don't make them all as consistent as possible.

> Main things to do:
> - Add application stuff
> - Get some cool screenshots

Thanks for the stewardship, stu,