List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: [dot] Re:  Re: 'diversification'
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-28 23:51:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 17:32:06 Carl Symons wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis@gmail.com>
wrote:
<snip>
> >> Interesting idea...I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other
> >> but here are a few things that come to mind in no particular order:
> >>
> >> - It would probably require less 'editing' work given it's aggregating
> >> and we can't edit at all in that scenario.  No html code formatting,
> >> begging for pictures, etc would be nice :)
> >
> > True. However, we could also achieve that by giving everyone on the
> > Planet editor privileges on the Dot and getting them to upload their
> > articles directly - presumably we don't do that because we see some
> > benefit in the editing process. Likewise, we could abandon the two
> > editors have to check rule, which again would make things quicker at the
> > expense of perhaps a drop in quality - there would be more typos etc.
> >
> > (I don't favour any of the above)
>
> I don't favor loose editor privileges. On a recent article, I made a
> number of changes of "i" to "I". This is an American English error
> that is natural for a German speaker to make. But that construction
> doesn't belong in the Dot.

Please note that the model openSUSE will take would be this:

The news site becomes a mere aggregator; but the current editors will create a
new site with the former news articles which will be automatically aggregated.
On top of that some planet posts will be promoted there.

Basically, if you don't promote any planet posts, nothing changes - and nobody
would see the difference. However, you could sometimes pick out those great
planet blogposts and get them on the news site without any work :D