List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] booklet
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-17 1:54:56

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Damien Tardy-Panis
<damientardypanis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > for me it is still possible to use scribus, i never used it before but i
> > dont
> > think that the differences are that big.
> >

> > i dont like using windows and if i dont have to fire up a virtual machine
> > work on the booklet, i am happy too. the only problem: i dont know sribus,
> > so
> > if somebody knows scribus, it would be cool and helpful.
>

> I think that in terms of features, Scribus should have what we need but
> believe me it's not so easy to use...
> As Stuart said, it is definitely not user friendly. By coincidence, I used
> it today to update my resume but I ended giving up (this was just an update,
> the layout was basically already done, just few things to change on it) :
> too much long to perform simple tasks, too much noises on the interface,...

By coincidence, I used Scribus today as well. It is definitely not as
intuitive as other applications. But I really don't have much problem
using it. However, I concur in what Stuart said earlier
today...especially that it's your choice. The Scribus interface has
taken me some time to figure out; that's part of the reason that I shy
away from KWord (my excuse anyway). I kinda like the approach of
eliminating the reference to InDesign such as Kurt produced.

> > it is awkward to promote an opensource environnment with a closed source
> > app.
> >
> Agree, that struck me once too but since a lot of work have already done
> with InDesign, continue with it. It will take you a lot of time to deal with
> Scribus.The only reason now would be if you personally want to learn to use
> it for others things. I know just a little bit of Scribus and if you decide
> to move the booklet to Scribus, I don't think I would be very helpful. But
> perhaps other people can help.
> Damien

I will be happy to help too. But when the discussion is finished, I
think that it's your choice about what to do. I just really appreciate
the work that you are doing with this.

Carl