List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Screenshots KDE booklet
From:       Damien Tardy-Panis <damientardypanis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-14 17:17:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2010/9/14 Felix Michel <felix_michel@gmx.ch>

> Hey everbody,
>
> i am still thinking about the screenshots for our shiny KDE booklet.
>
> My question for this screenshot issue is: what is the aim of the
> screenshots?

> Eventually, the goal of the booklet itself.

> I was thinking about the use and purpose of screenshots:
>
> - information about the app and KDE in general
>
> - attraction
>
> - something new
>
> - the audience should think: i want it, because it is sexy, useful or i
> dont
> know what
>
> - screenshots should not be a common place
>
> so my suggestion:
>
> screenshots of toolbar or details. in my opinion, the diffrence between KDE
> and other DEs is not the overall look of an application but the nice and
> useful details.
>
> what do you guys think?
>
> thanks for your replies
>
> Felix

The booklet is aimed to present our community and our products to people who
might have never heard about it and thus might have never seen what it looks
like : we have to put some screenshots that show the overall look and feel
of some applications.

 I agree we should also put screenshots of "nice, new and useful details"
when possible but not only that kind of images. Besides, I think it is quite
difficult to find these kind of details. Of course, there are interesting
details in each application but I think that putting only them as
screenshots would make a strange result on the booklet. Just imagine people
who will read it : we talk about the beautiful things we have without
showing once a complete interface !? People might have never seen one...

You're right, some screenshots are not readable because of the small size of
the booklet. However I'm not sure that is a big problem if we could not
distinguish what is sometimes written on it. It gaves an idea of what the
application looks like. By the way, screenshots are here to also make the
reading more enjoyable. Personnaly, I think that a complete interface
screenshot is much more attractive.

But as I said I agree with you, there should be more "details screenshots".
My point is that they should only be an addition to current screenshots.