List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] The KDE 4 Migration Story: white paper
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-30 23:44:20

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 18:23:16 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On June 30, 2010, Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 30, 2010 02:42:35 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > it should probably be sth along
> > > the lines of:
> > >
> > > KDE 4: a common "short hand" term for the variety of KDE software built
> > > on the KDE Development Platform v4, including (though not limited to)
> > > the KDE Software Compilation, applications in the KDE Extragear
> > > collection, KOffice 2, etc.
> >
> > Still a bit of a problem with this. I can see your point, but at the
> > start of the 4 series we used "KDE 4" to refer to the software
> > compilation (yes and other things) and so using "KDE 4" at all is quite
> > confusing, I think.
>
> we don't need to be historically consistent, we need to be currently
> consistent. and, if we can manage it, consistent with the future.

I dunno. We can get away with changing the meaning of a previously used term
with "KDE" I think, since we've gone with this whole strong "KDE is now people
who make software, not software made by people" message.  I still have issues
with "KDE 4" referring to software: "on the other hand, KDE 4 is software made
by people and not 4 people who make software" :-) but possibly I'm tying
myself in logical knots here. We can discuss at Akademy.

> > The subtlety between your usage here and the old one would be lost on a
> > lot of people imo. Perhaps we need a term for [SC4 + Platform 4 +
> > Platform 4 apps]?
>
> absolutely; it is helpful to have an umbrella term for the platform + sc +
> apps, which is "KDE Software"

Yes this works well

> ... the 4 gives us an umbrella version
> number.

I had a strawman argument all prepared here called "KDE Software 4" but that's
just silly and obviously not what you're saying - well, a strawman argument
;-)

> as for the subtlety issue: if it's too subtle for people in kde
> promo, then we have a problem. if it is too subtle for people outside of
> kde promo, that's something we can take advantage of. :)

Ah, you're an evil genius :-)

> > Yes, this seems to be the biggest problem, lots of people talking about
> > getting feature X sorted to "make KDE SC better" when they really mean to
> > "make KDE $app/$plasmaworkspace better".
>
> yes, yes and yes! i'm actually bringing this topic up in my keynote this
> year.

Great :-) There were an awesome couple of dents, one after the other, from
Schestowitz today illustrating how to get it completely the wrong way round:

"!KDE SC News": #Qt Interview, KDE Accessibility, and #KatchTV
http://ur1.ca/0gp7i http://ur1.ca/0gp7k http://ur1.ca/0gp7l"

(i.e. news about KDE software)

"!KDE 4.5 RC1 is Out, Looks Nice"

(i.e. news about the SC)

Somehow, we miscommunicated this to a lot of people - I don't know how.

And I agree with the rest of what you said about the benefits of having a big
splash like the SC versus some apps having their own schedules. Something else
to discuss.

Cheers,
Stu