List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] kdenews.org
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-05-17 23:50:07

Hey,

[CC:ing dot-editors, and Nuno as he likes getting email from sebas]

On Sun May 9 2010 01:14:43 Navindra Umanee wrote:
> I saw the thread on the kdenews.org domain issue but don't have it
> saved.
>
> I assure you guys, the only thing kdenews.org domain should be good
> for at this point in time is redirecting to the official dot.kde.org
> domain/URLs.
>
> Do *not* hardcode or link directly to kdenews.org if at all possible
> as it is a privately owned domain and may expire and be snatched up at
> any time.  I've tried transferring the domain to KDE e.V. a few times
> but the attempts have not been successful for unknown reasons.  I've
> been renewing it out of pocket for some years now but you never know.
>
> KDE Dot News (this was always the official name, the KDE.News logo was
> due to artistic liberty at play) did start out as an unofficial
> project but very quickly became the official news site for KDE.
>
> kdenews.org was mainly used for handing out email addresses and
> various sub-domains such as static.kdenews.org which hosted static
> content; dot.kde.org was always the preferred URL.
>
> Thanks,
> Navin.

Yep, we should use only one URL, I think that makes total sense. :)

Looking at the Dot, I think we have a very strong brand there, and on top of
that it's highly functional in bringing high-quality content out there. The
anecdote is quite nice actually, but I think it might be a good idea to
replace the "KDE.NEWS" in the header with "dot.KDE" to reflect the "brand"
dot.kde better. Everybody calls it the Dot, why not just call it like that?

Thoughts?
--
sebas