List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] dot and kdenews
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-09 20:40:01

(Mike, if you wonder why you're on cc, see the 3rd paragraph from the bottom)

On Sunday 09 May 2010 10:43:24 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Troy Unrau <troy.unrau@gmail.com> wrote:

> > This does bring up another topic, however, in that of the dot's recent
> > integration with promo. Up until about the 4.0 release (give or take a
> > little), the dot would have been considered a general news source for
> > people interested in KDE. It would link to intresting third party
> > articles, blogs, interviews, stats reports, etc. These days, it has
> > been consolidated into a KDE Promo platform. I'm not saying that this
> > is a bad thing, per se, as it is important for the Promo team to have
> > such a platform, however it now has the perception of only publishing
> > official stories - much like the official google blog does. In the
> > process, we've lost an outlet for the less official stories.
> >
> > Should the two domain thing really bother people, one possible
> > solution I'd suggest would be to split the dot from kdenews.org
> > domains, and repurpose kdenews.org as a larger news aggregator for
> > unofficial stories, or release announcements not considered important
> > enough for the dot any longer. It could then live on in the original
> > spirit of the dot, leaving the dot as the natural platform for promo
> > releases. I'd be interested in thoughts on this, since it's something
> > that's been slowly bothering me for several years now.

With regard to minor and devel releases, we could consider a "release digest",
say weekly, that just very briefly lists the releases from the previous week
that didn't merit their own article and links to blog posts or announcements
elsewhere. We'd need a mechanism to make this quick and easy, say you only get
your release in if you email the dot address with the required details that
week.

> Hmmm. Technically, we're still the outlet we were before - anyone can
> send in articles, and while we might have become slightly more
> restrictive, I don't feel we're closed down for 'less official'
> stories. You're right in mentioning less important release
> announcements, but those can be put on either individual websites and
> blogs - aggregated on the planet (and buzz.kde.org).

I'd be happy to see more of the old-style link to other news site articles
(with just a short summary). For me, they don't happen for a couple of
reasons:
- I kinda lack the time to do them - I'm more motivated to work on
editing the other stories or putting them together
- The Dot rules (a second review etc) though sensible can mean it takes a
while to get these out, by which time they might be old news. It's tricky, on
the one hand making sure we keep quality up and on the other not making it too
bureaucratic.

So the second influences the first a bit - I can't just write, publish and
forget... Would we favour saying any editor can write a short summary to an
article on another site and publish it immediately without review or
discussing scheduling? So we wouldn't care if one of these mini articles
appeared on the same day as a big one. Less chance for typos, probably no pics
and only one link... Is that how it used to work?

Ultimately, we could set up a separate category for these and allow them to be
shown/hidden with respect to reader preferences and maybe send them to a
separate RSS feed as the Dot gets syndicated to Facebook and Identica etc.

Me nudges Mike Arthur who was talking about dot categories/tags a while ago
;-)

> I wonder if any, let alone a lot independent stories might come to
> this kdenews.org - unless we turn it into an automatic aggregation of
> news... Still, if you or anyone feels we might solicit more input from
> outside of the close group of KDE people, this might be the way to do
> it and I would support it.

An automated aggregation could be cool - in that case I'd favour having it on
another site such as kdenews.org as there would be quite a lot of stuff

Cheers,
stu