List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Offer to do some stats analysis for KDE
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-26 9:26:44

On Sunday 25 April 2010 at 11:30 pm Troy Unrau wrote:
> On 25 April 2010 15:27, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Master thesis != Phd thesis
> >
> > The peer review happening in a master thesis is 0.
>
> Must be different in Europe. I'm expected to publish like five
> articles based on my M.Sc. work in peer reviewed journals. I also have
> a written and oral defence with a full committee of people who are not
> involved in the production of my thesis... and a number of other
> things that keep me in check. *shrugs*

When I did mine (which was really only a 'pretend' undergraduate masters) I
still had to provide full details of what I was doing so that the methodology
could be independently verified.

Anyway, the way I see it is that the benefits are unknown and maybe none but
the costs to us should be small. Troy, thanks for offering to be involved with
this - I'll email you and Angel separately. I'd be happy to help myself but I
know (a) very little about stats and (b) very little about where to access the
required data in the KDE infrastructure.

To other points (Justin etc), I'm not sure how large a project will be
required, 'Masters' vary quite a lot it seems (5 published papers would be
reasonable for a PhD in the UK). Either way, it is right that the student will
have to choose and define his own project, with his university supervisors. We
can only give an idea of what's out there and point in the right direction.

Cheers,
Stu