List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] swag for the shop
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-05 11:42:34

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Justin Kirby <justin@neomantra.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia@kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 14:36, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Ok nice stuff in this shop too:
> > > http://store.linux.com/
> >
> > I have to say I find the stuff there rather meh. Not a single thing
> > I'd buy tbh :/
> > But I agree with your comment about going monochrome or maybe two
> > colors max with a simple yet catchy image/phrase.
> >

> Hmm...so aside from "Be Free" what catch phrases do we have?  And maybe
> people have ideas for some new ones?
>
> Personally I would buy the South Park themed one if we could smooth out the
> details on it.  (looks a tad too close to the real South Park toons, and I'd
> like to see it laid out like Stu had it rather than how it is currently, and
> more of a window rather than jail bars, etc)  In any case, if cleaned up I
> think it's a great conversation starter as people would look at it and be
> like...wtf?  Is that south park? Is that windows? What does this shirt
> mean?  What is that K logo? Great chance to give an elevator speech about
> KDE and why it's awesome after they ask that imo.
>
> I think the "in progress" designs are cool too but they don't stand on their
> own.  They need some sort of slogan to go with them.

First of all, we have Sebas, our slogan machine. I'm sure he can come
up with things.

Second, the question is: what kind of message do we want to convey.

I would love a t-shirt (or a few) which focus on our 'community'. So
'who is KDE', 'We are KDE', etcetera. Following the themes set in the
great work by Wade Olsen:
http://picasaweb.google.com/wadejolson/BeFreeKDE
http://picasaweb.google.com/wadejolson/KDEDonTLookBack
http://picasaweb.google.com/wadejolson/WhatDoesKDEMeanToYou
(btw I wonder if his amarok stuff has all been used yet:
http://picasaweb.google.com/wadejolson/Amarok)

or by creating new themes. The t-shirts should tell people something
about who we are: a loving, caring community, interested in
technology, fun to be part off.

What style the t-shirts use for this doesn't really matter - as long
as it's effective.

Greetz,

Jos