List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] swag for the shop
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-03 12:34:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 March 2010 02:10:00 Justin Kirby wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've updated the wiki page based on a response I got from the board.
>  They're leaving us in charge of the approval process (hahah...they must
> not know who's on this team! *kidding*).  Anyways, I think this means all
> systems go.  I will be less shy about posting designs now.  What is the
> group's opinion about what is on the wiki at this point?  Is there
> anything we want to go ahead and post now?

Frankly, I only like the in progress ones A BIT, the other stuff is cool but I
don't think it really fits on a t-shirt. Then again, when it comes to t-shirt
I'm more for things which convey meaning in a very simple way. As I mailed
before, the Gnome Love t-shirt is amazingly well thought out and implemented
(gnome love = the one showing a foot, a + sign, a computer, an = sign and a
heart).

Such basic ideas convey a powerful feeling - we need at least *some* of those.
Pretty pictures - nice, but they rarely look good on t-shirts...

So I'm all for pictographic stuff - monochrome, 1 color. Our artists seem to
like their colorful screens a bit too much ;-)

I only have gnomy examples cuz I wouldn't know where else to look:
http://www.zazzle.com/gnome

Hehe and I found this on threadless. darn cool t-shirts there:
http://www.threadless.com/product/2234/Almighty_s#zoom

but that's contrary to what I was just preaching so forget it right away plz
;-)

Back to being serious, I think the designs we've seen are cool but not really
for on t-shirts. I'm no artist, nor very creative, so I'm afraid I can't help
- only be critical, sorry about that...

> And I'm also wondering if
> maybe we should ask the board to then sponsor an initial purchase of some
> of these things for the designer of each shirt to make sure they look good
> in person? (quality of print/color/etc)

Yes, we should do that.