List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] updating
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-27 8:36:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 26 March 2010 18:46:09 Justin Kirby wrote:
> Hi Jos,
>
> Hmm...doing this in any sort of automated way might prove difficult for
> LinkedIn.  I don't think they have much in the way of monitoring these
> stats.  Though there is a spot on the group page that tells you what has
> happened in the past 7 days.  Oh, and they do also send out a semi-regular
> email about the active conversations started.  I don't know, I'll see if I
> can come up with something informative to report back on it.  What I can
> tell you off the bat is...
>
> - We've had 8 people join the KDE User LinkedIn group in the last 7 days.
> - There has only been one discussion created in the past week which I
> started to tell people about the KDE Finance sprint coming up and to
> mention some updates to lemonPOS (a KDE point of sales app).  No responses
> to that just yet. :(
> - The group is now up to 638 members.  When I became a mod there in January
> of this year there was ~500 so you can see that the number rose >25% over
> the past few months!  I think this is mostly due to the KDE 4.4 SC release
> and also (at least partially I hope!) due to me making some fuss about it
> on Planet KDE and the other LinkedIn groups to get people to join :)

Thanks for the numbers! It's interesting to see we're still pretty pretty
small here, the gnomies have an about 10 times larger facebook page, not sure
about linked-in.

> I'm still trying to find new ways to make the group more useful and give
> people more of a reason to join.  One of the more helpful things I did
> recently was start up a thread asking for user feedback about what kind of
> new plasmoids they might like to see made for the Javascript Jam contest.
> I got about 10 different people who responded, many of which had some
> pretty good ideas.  I then summarized them in a Planet KDE blog entry so
> they could see that their opinions were being expressed to the developer
> community.  It would be really awesome if somebody submits an entry based
> on one of those ideas.  Anyways, if anyone has any ideas for further
> expanding this group or for making more effective use of it please do let
> me know!

- We should have badges to facebook and linked-in on kde.org
- Dot posts should go in there for sure, automated if possible

Otherwise, we want to help ppl connect to each other - so maybe start
discussions like 'how do you use KDE apps professionally' (linked-in) or 'post
a pic of your desktop' (facebook).

BTW thanks you're trying to get some live in this. As I wrote, we need to help
ppl connect, it should therefore be not too much work for us. I'd prefer to
automate content generation and let the community take care of the rest. For
that - it needs to grow first, apparently ;-)

One way of doing that would probably be badges on kde.org. Youtube also still
needs integration on kde.org, unfortunately I haven't heard from James Cain in
a while...