List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Learning lessons from release problems
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-02-13 8:43:38

On Friday 12 February 2010 18:36:44 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 12 February 2010 18:30:53 Eckhart Wörner wrote:
> > > RC3 was, for me, so smooth that I didn't really expect to see any
> > > major
> > >
> > > problems with 4.4.  However, the forum and lists are full of people that
> > > are having problems.  Mostly they are caused by what I understand to be
> > > a change in the Nepomuk database structure.  Apparently some people
> > > picked up from somewhere the hint that any existing nepomuk database
> > > should be deleted,
> > >
> > > prior to updating, but despite the amount of reading I do, I didn't see
> > > that.

There was a blog post on planetkde, but that doesn't reach enough people. If
you missed it then it wasn't communicated well enough.

> I gather that the converter didn't work in Fedora either.  Still, the
> question remains.  A few people got the information, most didn't.  How can
> we better that?

Probably there should have been a mention of it in the release announcement
(that was put up for feedback well before release and I read it through and it
didn't occur to me).

Alternatively, perhaps we should look at issuing release notes like many of
the distros do for new versions (e.g. http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-
notes/f12/en-US/html/). More work for us of course...

Also, the distros have a responsibility I think to try and alert their users,
because the problems vary by distro.  AFAIK, the problems should only arise
for distros and users that were using an older version of Virtuoso in 4.3 -
there shouldn't be problems for people who are migrating from one of the other
backends? There's also the point that pre-4.4 the Virtuoso backend was (I
think) unofficial so KDE's official pov was arguably that no one should have to do
the conversion as they shouldn't have been using Virtuoso before 4.4. Trouble
is that Virtuoso was so much better that a lot of people and distros started
using it early.

A lot of people probably see the new version in their package manager and
install it without reading out promo stuff, which also points to distros being
best placed to warn users. Of course, we need to let the distros know of
potential issues so they can tell users, but at present we don't have a
mechanism for broadcasting information to the distro teams.

Cheers,
Stu