List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Listserv cleanup
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-01-01 20:23:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 01 January 2010 10:51:28 am Justin Kirby wrote:
> Ack...maybe I misread that.  Ingo, is there a "mailing list of list
> admins"? Or were you just saying we could use one email address for each
> list instead of mailing each moderator on every list individually?
>
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Justin Kirby <justin@neomantra.org> wrote:
> > Wow, I really wish I'd known about that moderator mailing list 6 months
> > ago
> >
> > :)  Thanks Ingo!
> >
> > So maybe instead of sending out all these individualized emails we could
> > just send the following to that mailing list and then take appropriate
> > action.  Please let me know if anyone has any feedback on this, otherwise
> > I will go ahead and send it out early next week:
> >
> > Dear KDE Listserv Moderator,
> >
> > The KDE-Promo team has done a review of all managed listservs and has
> > determined that a very large number of them appear to be inactive or were
> > never even used.  In order to help clean up this situation we will be
> > closing all of the following mailing lists unless we hear from a
> > moderator that they are still in use:
> >
> > << I'll insert the potential inactive mailing lists here>>
> >
> > Additionally, if you are a moderator of a mailing list that was not
> > listed above but know that it is no longer necessary or would like to
> > merge it with some other list please let us know.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > The KDE Promo Team

> >> Hint: It would be much easier to use listname-owner@kde.org instead of
> >> the addresses of all admins/moderators.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Ingo

There are list owner addresses that are fowarders to the mailing list
administrators. So, for the kopete-devel list, there is a kopete-devel-
owner@kde.org email address that forwards to me, since I'm the mailing list
admin for that list. For lists with multiple owners, everybody listed as a
mailing list owner would get the mail. Note that mailing list owners are
separate from list moderators.
--
Matt