List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] showcase videos for edu
From:       Lydia Pintscher <lydia.pintscher () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-22 21:39:08

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 22:30, Justin Kirby <justin@neomantra.org> wrote:
> Hi Lydia,
>
> So this video thing is turning out to be way more work than I thought....but
> fear not I haven't given up!

You're the man! Awesome.

> After a day or so of fussing with the software I've mostly got it working.
> I plan to write a wiki article on this eventually so that if other promo
> people want to do something similar in the near future they won't have so
> much trouble :)

You will be given cookies and hugs for this...

> The short story though, is that in the end you just need
> two packages.  RecordMyDesktop and Kdenlive.  Then you configure Kdenlive to
> be the GUI that does screencaptures using RecordMyDesktop.
>
> On the actual content side I've completed a script and have worked out the
> order I"m going to navigate through the application.  So now all that's left
> is to hack it together.  But if you could let me know what would be a
> reasonable file size or screen resolution in the end and where it might be
> posted or what format it should be in that would be helpful.

Hmmm good questions. I don't really have much experience with this so
I hope others who have done some screencasts before can chime in.
The goal was to have it posted on YouTube and some of the more foss
friendly sites and then spread it via planet and microblogs and so on.
The resolution has to be at least high enough to not be blurry and so
people can see what you are showing (like a city or some wikipedia
page) but I guess you know that one already ;-)
Sorry to not be more helpful here.
People who have done some screencasts before: please give some feedback.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher