List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] wiki VS google docs
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-22 21:08:50

On Thursday 19 November 2009 13:57:21 Ryan Rix wrote:
> Having KDE embrace a proprietary webservice like Google Docs does not seem
> like the most, how can I say, promising(?) thing for someone who is
> embracing the community for its openness and love of Free Software, from
> the PoV of someone else in the Free Software community, for example, GNOME
> power users looking at KDE, and even KDE users looking to become
> contributors. We say we love Free software and Open Source, and all that,
> but, well, we aren't using it :) Could I suggest moving to an Infinote
> server with the documents stored locally? It allows plaintext (wiki?)
> style editing of documents only, but it is collaborative and realtime.
> There is even a KDE client for it called Kobby, packaged in a few distros
> and available in source at kde-apps.

I'll jump back in to this thread here (there are lots of other emails about
the merits of infiniote, kobby, gobby etc...). Anyway, apparently Google
recently acquired etherpad (http://etherpad.com/) and have released it under
Apache 2. I've never really used it much but it might be worth looking into -
etherpad.com looks like it will be closed down, but it might be possible to
set up our own server?

Note: it doesn't seem to work in KHTML, but does seem to work in Konqi with
the webkit kpart - or Rekonq, Firefox, even IE if that's your thing ;-).

Cheers,
Stu