List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] =?utf-8?q?Fwd=3A_Anmeldung_OpenExpo_2010_und_Ank?=
From:       Myriam Schweingruber <schweingruber () pharma-traduction ! ch>
Date:       2009-12-19 8:09:26

Jos, I love you! (Just don't tell markey...)

2009/12/18 Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>:
> They mention there will also be students, hackers and other foss minded
> people. It seems they want us to focus on the IT professionals...
> While they prefer a clear focus on commercial use by the chosen project, they
> tollerate others.
> And I like the free food.

Yep, you summarized this perfectly. Especially the food part, I guess
Claudia, Alexandra, Eckhart, Ade, Andy, Mark and Sven (and some others
I might have forgotten) can confirm that they really treat us well at
OpenExpo :)

> This is actually a place we should visit more often. A real business expo.
> Darn, I remember CEBIT 2009, had a great time connecting to interesting
> people. It's rather different from talking to interested users - much more
> like selling something.

But CEBIT is extremely demanding and hard, since it lasts over a week
and you have a very different public, many of them only visiting to
get free merchandise, especially on weekends.
OpenExpo has the charm to be in the middle of the week, so there is
much less general public, and it is mainly business and administration
oriented. As it shares the fairground with TopSoft, a proprietary
CRM/ERP event, there is quite some concurrence, but the suits usually
have a hard time against us, we definitely attract more visitors at
OpenExpo :)
I wonder if some of our fellows working on KDE-PIM, KOffice, KMyMonney
- just to mention a few - would be interested to join in? Switzerland
is pretty much virgin ground for Free Software, a few distributions
have booths as usual, and with the new focus on business I guess there
will be less private user targeted software accepted.
I wouldn't be astonished to see a booth focused on Kolab, that would
be a perfect opportunity to join forces and make KDE a serious option
in the Swiss market

> When it comes to the application, it seems they just want to have a project
> description for that. So I wrote one based on kde.org and a lot of editing ;-)
>
> KDE is an international technology team that creates Free Software for desktop
> and portable computing. Among KDE's products are the desktop and netbook
> workspaces, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and
> hundreds of software titles including Internet and web applications,
> entertainment, educational and software development.
>
> KDE brings to the forefront many innovations for application developers. An
> entire infrastructure has been designed and implemented to help programmers
> create robust and comprehensive applications in the most efficient manner.
>
> KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with ease
> of use and modern accessibility in mind. KDE's applications are available for
> Linux/Unix, Windows, Mac OS X and various mobile platforms.
>
> The KDE community is one of the largest and most active Free Software
> communities. It's products are used far and wide and it cooperates with the
> biggest industry players like Nokia, Intel and Google. The KDE community has a
> strong focus on innovative, powerful technological solutions. Besides having
> accomplished major deployments in a variety of areas like schools, governments
> and large companies, its technology forms the basis for entire generations of
> netbooks and the browsing capabilities of Google Chrome, Apple's iPhone and
> many other applications.
>
> The KDE community works with various large and small businesses, governments,
> universities and is always on the lookout for interesting partnerships with
> other organisations.
>
> 220 words.
>
> How about it, helpful? Would have to be translated in German, I suppose?

Perfect! Translation is not a problem, I can do this over the weekend :)

> And how about keeping this once comments are processed - I'll put it on
> community.kde.org so it can be used later on.

Very good idea, so we have a boilerplate for events that can be used
everywhere, respecting our new branding.

Did I already tell you that I love you? But I digress...

Thanks a lot for your help. How about joining the party? The event is
really nice, catering is free and really yummy and Bern is a beautiful
town!

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org