List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Helping distros with the branding
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-18 12:49:22

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Carl Symons <carlsymons@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 07:56:09 +0100
> > From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>
> > Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop Spin will be too many words - so what word to we
> > want them to skip on? Plasma or KDE? Frankly, I'm leaning towards using
> > Plasma, not KDE. The goal of the rebranding was to decouple the workspace from
> > the software - so we want to convey that the Gnome or XFCE spins can also have
> > KDE software on them - the Plasma spin is just about the used desktop.
> >
> Again I agree with Jos.

<snpi>

> It would support KDE branding better and be more accurate for this to read:
>
> "The Fedora KDE spin is a powerful Fedora-based operating system
> utilizing Plasma as the main user interface. Fedora KDE comes with
> many pre-selected top quality applications that suit all modern
> desktop use cases - from online communication like web browsing,
> instant messaging and electronic mail correspondence, through
> multimedia and entertainment, to an advanced productivity suite,
> including office applications and enterprise grade personal
> information management. All KDE applications are well integrated, with
> a similar look and feel and an easy to use interface, accompanied by
> an outstanding graphical appearance.
>
> The Fedora KDE spin is based on the latest KDE 4 technology as
> provided by KDE open source community.
>
> It's your desktop."

However. If Fedora wants to have a desktop and a netbook spin, should
they use Plasma or KDE?

So the Fedora Plasma Desktop spin and the Fedora Plasma Netbook spin?

Or the Fedora KDE Desktop spin and the Fedora KDE netbook spin?

As I wrote, I'm leaning to the first - Plasma Desktop spin and Plasma
Netbook spin. As this supports the decoupling of apps vs workspace.
But it might lower the usage (and thus value?) of our main brand, KDE.
So what do others think?