List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Helping distros with the branding
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-17 15:55:43

From: Nathan Ogden
> > 3) Maybe we can combine "Plasma" with another term that would refer to
> > all the workspaces. This would give us a brand (Plasma) plus a
> > meaningful/descriptive word. I'm not sure that "workspaces" would convey
> > much meaning to the average person.
> > Plasma editions
> > Plasma configurations
> > Plasma environments
> > etc.
> >
> > Thoughts?

> I dunno... Workspace - space you work in. I'm not a native english speaker, so
> I can't be sure about this, but it sounds sensible to me...

I'm with Jos. Native English speaker...sounds sensible to me too. It's
not clear who an "average person" is in this context. Anyone who has
found their way to reading about KDE Plasma workspaces is more tech
savvy than average. The term "workspace" conveys the appropriate
meaning.

> Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop Spin will be too many words - so what word to we
> want them to skip on? Plasma or KDE? Frankly, I'm leaning towards using
> Plasma, not KDE. The goal of the rebranding was to decouple the workspace from
> the software - so we want to convey that the Gnome or XFCE spins can also have
> KDE software on them - the Plasma spin is just about the used desktop.

Again I agree with Jos.

Fedora doesn't capitalize "spin", which would take away some of the
overbearing sense of the example cited. It's important to relate to
the context of someone actually reading the words. The reader is
probably already in the Fedora world, and also Fedora spins. The
current most popular spin is "KDE", ahead of LXDE, XFCE, BrOffice and
Games.

In this instance--a listing of available spins at the Fedora website,
"KDE" is more appropriate than "Plasma". However, taking Jos' point,
Plasma is more appropriate than "KDE" in other contexts. For example,
the current summary of the KDE spin on the Fedora site is:

"The Fedora KDE Desktop Edition is a powerful Fedora-based operating
system utilizing the K Desktop Environment as the main user interface.
Fedora KDE comes with many pre-selected top quality applications that
suit all modern desktop use cases - from online communication like web
browsing, instant messaging and electronic mail correspondence,
through multimedia and entertainment, to an advanced productivity
suite, including office applications and enterprise grade personal
information management. All KDE applications are well integrated, with
a similar look and feel and an easy to use interface, accompanied by
an outstanding graphical appearance.

The Fedora KDE Desktop Edition is based on the latest KDE 4 technology
as provided by KDE open source community.

It's your desktop."

It would support KDE branding better and be more accurate for this to read:

"The Fedora KDE spin is a powerful Fedora-based operating system
utilizing Plasma as the main user interface. Fedora KDE comes with
many pre-selected top quality applications that suit all modern
desktop use cases - from online communication like web browsing,
instant messaging and electronic mail correspondence, through
multimedia and entertainment, to an advanced productivity suite,
including office applications and enterprise grade personal
information management. All KDE applications are well integrated, with
a similar look and feel and an easy to use interface, accompanied by
an outstanding graphical appearance.

The Fedora KDE spin is based on the latest KDE 4 technology as
provided by KDE open source community.

It's your desktop."

Helping distros with KDE branding is the right approach. It would be
particularly helpful to convey the message that the rebranding is an
accurate presentation of the diverse, yet integrated aspects of KDE,
not just fancy marketing mumbo jumbo.

Carl