List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Helping distros with the branding
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-17 6:56:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 19:13:37 Nathan Ogden wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 08:58 AM, Stuart Jarvis wrote:

> >> I'm assuming their KDE spin is the usual KDE workspace + other apps. If
> >> so, Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop Edition sounds right to me. (We chose the
> >> "KDE Plasma Desktop" part.) :-) I can think of only 2 ways to shorten it
> >> at the moment. 1) Fedora Plasma Desktop Edition (when KDE is no longer
> >> needed as part of the name). 2) Fedora KDE Plasma Edition (if more than
> >> one KDE workspace is included).
> >
> > Re 2), there are times when I've felt the need for a group term for the
> > workspaces (I tend to just use "workspaces"). Things like:
> >
> > "in SC 4.4 the enhanced KRunner is a nice addition to (KDE) Plasma
> > Desktop and (KDE) Plasma Netbook"
> > or
> > "in SC 4.4 the enhanced KRunner is a nice addition to the KDE workspaces"
> > or
> > "in SC 4.4 the enhanced KRunner is a nice addition to the (KDE) Plasma
> > workspaces"
> >
> > How do we feel about those? (particularly the last one)
>
> I was under the impression that your second example was the correct
> "new" wording; however, upon looking at the rebranding proposal again,
> there does not appear to be any clear instruction for the wording here.
> I had not thought much about the wording for "workspaces" since I
> thought it was settled. Here are some quick thoughts.
>
> 1) In effect, "Plasma" seems to be the term we are using that would be
> the branding equivalent of workspace - "Plasma" Desktop, "Plasma"
> Netbook, etc.
>
> 2) I would also be interested in using something other than "workspaces"
> for branding. I have listed a few terms off the top of my head, but none
> of them strike me well by themselves.
> desktop environment - excludes netbook, media center, etc.
> environment - too vague
> configuration - generic word
> desktop configuration - once again, excludes others
> editions - already used by at least one distributions, so maybe; still
> generic, though
>
> 3) Maybe we can combine "Plasma" with another term that would refer to
> all the workspaces. This would give us a brand (Plasma) plus a
> meaningful/descriptive word. I'm not sure that "workspaces" would convey
> much meaning to the average person.
> Plasma editions
> Plasma configurations
> Plasma environments
> etc.
>
> Thoughts?

I dunno... Workspace - space you work in. I'm not a native english speaker, so
I can't be sure about this, but it sounds sensible to me... Either way, 1 is
indeed the case. "KDE has developed a variety of workspaces and is working on
more. We currently ship Plasma Netbook and Plasma Desktop, while Plasma
Mediacenter and Plasma Phone are under development."

Or something.

And yes, I do see the 'this is getting too long' issue.

Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop Spin will be too many words - so what word to we
want them to skip on? Plasma or KDE? Frankly, I'm leaning towards using
Plasma, not KDE. The goal of the rebranding was to decouple the workspace from
the software - so we want to convey that the Gnome or XFCE spins can also have
KDE software on them - the Plasma spin is just about the used desktop.