List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Helping distros with the branding
From:       Nathan Ogden <nathanogden76 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-16 18:13:37

On 12/16/2009 08:58 AM, Stuart Jarvis wrote:

> > > KDE Desktop Edition which is actually Fedora KDE spin but Desktop Edition
> > > or spin refers to Fedora not KDE but as KDE alone is now used only for
> > > community around KDE SC? How to match it correctly to distro names (and
> > > all distros with different policies).
> > >

> > > Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop (spin). Bit of a mouthful though, isn't it? At
> > > present they have "Fedora KDE Live Media" on the downloads page - also
> > > ok? Just means live media from Fedora and KDE (GNOME is "Fedora Desktop
> > > Live Media" which riles me a little, and some of the KDE SIG people, but
> > > that debate has been had and I don't see it changing)
> > >
> > I'm assuming their KDE spin is the usual KDE workspace + other apps. If
> > so, Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop Edition sounds right to me. (We chose the
> > "KDE Plasma Desktop" part.) :-) I can think of only 2 ways to shorten it
> > at the moment. 1) Fedora Plasma Desktop Edition (when KDE is no longer
> > needed as part of the name). 2) Fedora KDE Plasma Edition (if more than
> > one KDE workspace is included).
> >
> Re 2), there are times when I've felt the need for a group term for the
> workspaces (I tend to just use "workspaces"). Things like:
>
> "in SC 4.4 the enhanced KRunner is a nice addition to (KDE) Plasma Desktop and
> (KDE) Plasma Netbook"
> or
> "in SC 4.4 the enhanced KRunner is a nice addition to the KDE workspaces"
> or
> "in SC 4.4 the enhanced KRunner is a nice addition to the (KDE) Plasma
> workspaces"
>
> How do we feel about those? (particularly the last one)

I was under the impression that your second example was the correct
"new" wording; however, upon looking at the rebranding proposal again,
there does not appear to be any clear instruction for the wording here.
I had not thought much about the wording for "workspaces" since I
thought it was settled. Here are some quick thoughts.

1) In effect, "Plasma" seems to be the term we are using that would be
the branding equivalent of workspace - "Plasma" Desktop, "Plasma"
Netbook, etc.

2) I would also be interested in using something other than "workspaces"
for branding. I have listed a few terms off the top of my head, but none
of them strike me well by themselves.
desktop environment - excludes netbook, media center, etc.
environment - too vague
configuration - generic word
desktop configuration - once again, excludes others
editions - already used by at least one distributions, so maybe; still
generic, though

3) Maybe we can combine "Plasma" with another term that would refer to
all the workspaces. This would give us a brand (Plasma) plus a
meaningful/descriptive word. I'm not sure that "workspaces" would convey
much meaning to the average person.
Plasma editions
Plasma configurations
Plasma environments
etc.

Thoughts?

> > > Anyway, I've set up a page to track talking to distros:
> > > http://community.kde.org/Promo/Distribution_Communication/Tasks which is
> > > very sparse at present - I'm sure someone - Aaron? - was talking to one
> > > of the openSUSE peeps and there are plenty more distros we should
> > > actively target.
> > >
> > I added some contact info to the wiki page for openSUSE (2 ways,
> > actually). I sent an email to the community manager. In the boilerplate
> > thread, someone commented that the proper way to contact them (openSUSE)
> > was through openFATE and that they had filed a request.
> >

> Thanks, I will try and get to this properly soon, but this week is going to be
> very busy and then I'll only be intermittently online for a couple of weeks

As for openSUSE, the feature request has already been posted
(https://features.opensuse.org/308506).

Nathan