List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Demo CD / Virtual Environment?
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-01 18:40:23

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:32 PM, James Cain <james.cain.25@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Being new to the list, I was wondering if there was something like the
> GnomeLiveMedia project for KDE?
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLiveMedia
>
> There was not that I could find, although I know it has been discussed that
> a demo should be made for installation onto notebooks for media types and
> jounalists, for example. I believe a distribution-neutral CD and Virtual
> Image could compliment many aspects of  marketing / promo as we gear for the
> 4.4 release. I know that, ideally, it would be great if people from LoCo's
> and representatives from the major distributions helped more with awareness
> for KDE on their specific flavor of OS (Kubuntu, Suse, etc.). And they do
> this at present (although not in great enough numbers, of course!).
>
> One advantage I could see right off the bat is having a download right from
> the KDE website as a VM, CD, DVD, or .exe that could get people introduced
> to KDE concepts and the KDE community. At present, there is of course a "Try
> KDE" link on the Dot, but with SIX Linux choices to pick from right off the
> bat, plus the Win and Mac links, it would seem daunting to most casual or
> curious computer users. Make it so that there is only one choice: Learn
> About KDE. Then prompt the visitor for the method of delivery they would
> prefer. Once introduced properly via a distro-indifferent vehicle, perhaps
> then provide information with highlights back to the Dot and links to the
> major KDE distributions, plus Win and Mac info, and other resources.(?)
>
> Another obvious advantage would be complete control over the presentation
> and messaging (standardization of the presentation of the KDE "experience")
> without dependence on the potential nuances from the different distro's and
> platforms. The first line on the "try KDE" page states "Trying out a desktop
> environment like KDE can seem a daunting task...". Maybe it doesn't have to
> be.

It has been discussed many times, and we all agree it would be a great
thing to have... But lack of time/volunteers has made it not happen
yet ;-)

> I would be glad to help with something like this, should it be deemed a good
> idea.

Seems like you can help in the 'lack of volunteers' area ;-)
Cornelius cares deeply about this (and the opensuse build service is
basically perfect for this) so I imagine it'll only be minutes before
he responds with love and puppies :D
Be sure to ask him what needs to be done to get this going. He's to
busy but will be willing to help with ideas on how and practical help
- I'm betting you can simply take this task on you and get input from
others where you need it.

Be sure to add the task to community.kde.org/Promo/Tasks with your name :D

Cheers,

Jos