List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Demo CD / Virtual Environment?
From:       James Cain <james.cain.25 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-01 17:32:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello.

Being new to the list, I was wondering if there was something like the
GnomeLiveMedia project for KDE?

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLiveMedia

There was not that I could find, although I know it has been discussed that
a demo should be made for installation onto notebooks for media types and
jounalists, for example. I believe a distribution-neutral CD and Virtual
Image could compliment many aspects of  marketing / promo as we gear for the
4.4 release. I know that, ideally, it would be great if people from LoCo's
and representatives from the major distributions helped more with awareness
for KDE on their specific flavor of OS (Kubuntu, Suse, etc.). And they do
this at present (although not in great enough numbers, of course!).

One advantage I could see right off the bat is having a download right from
the KDE website as a VM, CD, DVD, or .exe that could get people introduced
to KDE concepts and the KDE community. At present, there is of course a "Try
KDE" link on the Dot, but with SIX Linux choices to pick from right off the
bat, plus the Win and Mac links, it would seem daunting to most casual or
curious computer users. Make it so that there is only one choice: Learn
About KDE. Then prompt the visitor for the method of delivery they would
prefer. Once introduced properly via a distro-indifferent vehicle, perhaps
then provide information with highlights back to the Dot and links to the
major KDE distributions, plus Win and Mac info, and other resources.(?)

Another obvious advantage would be complete control over the presentation
and messaging (standardization of the presentation of the KDE "experience")
without dependence on the potential nuances from the different distro's and
platforms. The first line on the "try KDE" page states "Trying out a desktop
environment like KDE can seem a daunting task...". Maybe it doesn't have to
be.

I would be glad to help with something like this, should it be deemed a good
idea.

Thanks.

James Cain
http://thebluemint.blogspot.com