List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] rebranding, finalising KDE 4.3 announcement
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-03 9:30:15

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Aaron J. Seigo<aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 01 August 2009, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Aaron J. Seigo<aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> > > hm.. obviously this is also just a draft suggestion, and the names in the
> > > list above diverge a bit from the actual module names in svn,
> > > particularly Kontact instead of PIM. *thinks*
> > >
> > > we have some odd ducks in there, such as Network. it's really "Kopete
> > > Instant Messenger + some other stuff". we should probably be promoting
> > > Kopete as a first tier item more prominently, regardless of what module
> > > it's in?
> >
> > Hmmm. How about KRDC and KGet? Isn't Konqi in there as well?
>
> konqi isn't (it's in kdebase), but the other two are in there. but they are
> more "infrastructure network apps" (downloader, remote desktop) while kopete
> fall into a stand-alone hot topic (IM).

I don't disagree, but what do you propose? They move to extragear? ;-)

> > > Ok, that's probably way too long, but perhaps you can just cut the list
> > > out to turn it into an intro piece? perhaps a click-through to a full
> > > page describing the framework would do?
> >
> > Ok, now one last thing:
> > KDE Application Development Framework?
> > Or KDE Application Framework? What is it? I thought the former but you
> > use the latter....
>
> did we have a final? i've been a bit out of the loop. KADF just seems a bit
> long. it'll be annoying to say over and over in presentations ;)

Funny. I tried to answer your question, but clearly all our thoughts
about rebranding have been about the *workspace*. The other two brands
have been ignored almost completely.

I agree with your sentiment. However I personally find KDE Development
Platform better sounding than KDE Application Framework. KDP vs KAF :D

What do others think?

This is a translation issue too, I suppose, btw... We need to settle
this soon (and it's bad that I won't be here for the rest of the
day....)