List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] What next? (promo in usa)
From:       Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-02-24 22:53:44

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 12:46:28 pm Dan Borne wrote:
> Am Dienstag 24 Februar 2009 08.55.11 schrieb Ian Reinhart Geiser:
> > On Tuesday 24 February 2009 06:01:48 am A. L. Spehr wrote:
> > > (What I was actually going to add to that last one: scale went well, so
> > > now what?)
> >
> > We get some sleep :D
> >
> > > I see several shows on here, and several were handing me flyers and
> > > asking for speakers, etc.
> >
> > I am going to volunteer to speak at SELF in June.  I think it would also
> > make sense to have a booth there too.  Since these are on weekends I
> > think I can help on a few of them without sucking too much work time up.
> > I also should give a talk at Ohio Linux Festival.  To be honest I think I
> > am going to stick in this hemisphere for a while seeing if we can drum up
> > a bigger community.
>
> I would offer to go to these events and help, all providing. I know I
> volunteered to do something at Ontario Linux Fest, but than again, I might
> be going to uni 6km away at that time. All of us here in the Americas
> should stick here.. there are more Germans, Dutchmen and whatnot to take
> our places.
I guess well just have to hype Kamp KDE then :)

> There was an email yesterday about Northwest Linux Fest on 25,26 April
> 2009, which I should like and attempt to attend.
I will be taking the banner back tomorrow to get reprinted.  Ideally this can
go without a problem.  I also think by then we can have those two computers
for keeps.  This means all we would have to do for each conference is rent
monitors.

> > > What/where do we concentrate? What show next? Is anyone putting these
> > > on a datebook or something?
>
> I think we should be trying to do as many 'nix related trade-shows as
> possible; the next one afaik is Northwest Linuxfest.  I recall Aaron
> Johnson saying he tried to get it put on the KDE Promo site but he was
> unsucessful, albeit I am not sure what that meant.  They are on my
> calenders!
Well does it make sense to have a few of the same group up there?  I think the
only thing I would like to have before that point would be more stuff to hand
out.  We blew through the stickers pretty fast, as well as the few shirts we
had.

> > I guess part of me thinks we only have the resources for divide and
> > conquer approach.  Personally I thought we had  a great team assembled at
> > SCALE. We were organized professional. I think the comment was that we
> > "where like the apple store only less creepy"   Between Devon IT and Qt
> > Software we had an awesome demo to show.  I also have unofficial word
> > that we can get the two demo machines on a permanent basis.
>
> I think that would be wonderful, it sure looks allot better than our
> laptops missing keys, with donkeys having to plug in all of the indiviudal
> cables ;) I see no reason why this could not be repeated at other events
> except that all of us were in rather poor Ĺ“conomic conditions and I am not
> sure how much the eV would like to pay to send us around, I of course would
> not mind.

Yes, this is really the rub, and maybe we can procure some donations
specifically for this purpose.  I think we had a total cost of transit and
lodging that was about $1k... so if we could get a company to donate about $5k
to the cause that might get us to a trade show every two months here.  Since
most of these are on weekends I think we will have an easier time making it
happen.  I think the most important thing here is to see what KDE gets from
this investment in having a professional appearance at these trade shows. I
was impressed with how many people knew about us and supported us, but I would
like to see more of them form communities.

> > So I think for a next step is I would look at what we spent on SCALE and
> > see if it makes sense to create a budget for a few other regional events.
> >
> > What are others opinions?
>
> I think that is what we should be doing, maybe get some sort of booth-box
> going, which is something of which I know we spoke at SCALEx7
Well once the banner is redone, and I have the pcs secured I think we are off
to a great start.  The final step will be to have it in a container of some
sort that can be used to ship around the country.  I would also like to have a
more of an idea of how we can solicit donations so that we can try to cash flow
at least the merchandise costs.

-ian reinhart geiser