List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE and the Cloud
From:       "Wade Olson" <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2009-01-08 21:46:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Torsten Rahn <rahn@kde.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 03 January 2009 23:33:50 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > To put that out of the way from the start, let me say that I think that
> > using Google docs for this is totally OK.
>
> Ok, let's decouple the whole discussion from the whole visual guide thing
> keep things constructive.

Now, after getting a net connection again...

We should not lose sight of Torsten's question, because it is in fact a very
important one to address technically as well as philosophically: KDE and the
cloud.  What will KDE's stance be toward cloud computing/web
services/integration in the future?

This is really just the next stage of questioning after: Is it
prudent/advisable/beneficial for KDE to port its applications to Mac and
Windows?  Which was answered in 2007 and 2008.

It's one thing to make a Twitter/Digg/Facebook plasmoid.  It's one thing to
improve KHTML/WebKit which in turns allow better experiences with web apps
of all kinds (for better and worse).  And then it's another to provide
deeper and more meaningful hooks into areas that may be
problematic/troubling to some in the community.  JOLIE, Nepumuk, plasmoid
advancements, etc lead to questions that haven't been asked before.

Thanks for brining this up Tackat,
Wade