List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Changing how we market the workspace
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-10-15 17:49:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I don't think my idea is very different, but I still want our release
> announcements to have a title like "KDE Community releases KDE 4.2" instead

<crazy meter 3>

possible titles might be:

"KDE Software Distribution 4.2 Released"
"KDE Announces Version 4.2"
"KDE's 4.2 Software Suite Released"

our KDE 3.2 title was, "KDE Project Ships New Major Release Of Leading Open
Source Desktop Environment"

the lead sentence for the 3.5 release was, "The KDE Project is happy to
announce a new major release of the award-winning K Desktop Environment" (note
the "KDE [..] KDE" there =)

so this wouldn't be a huge departure of any sort, really.

<crazy meter 7>

another approach would be to break it into a set of three, with an umbrella
sumary:

"KDE Applications and Development Framework Advances with 4.2" (replace with
actual sell point; cover top 3-5 highlights; point to other articles at end;
emphasize benefits of integration here)

"KDE Releases $DevelopmentFrameworkBrand 4.2" (sell the libraries! would be
developer oriented)

"Version 4.2 of $WorkspaceBrand Brings $SellPoint"  (cover crazy new (to the
audience) kwin, plasma, krunner, sysguard, etc feautres; aimed at KDE desktop
usage. no win/mac/gnome shots here.)

"KDE's 4.2 Application Suites Launched Today" (cover awesome features in app;
aimed at all computer users on all platforms.)

the amount of text would be similar to what we publish now, just in bite sized
chunks.

note how Apple does this:

	http://www.apple.com/pr/

this would also be keeping pace with our growth; perhaps we're too big to cram
everything into one press release.

<crazy meter 1>

(odd factoid: we currently have the second hit on google for the term "3.2",
third for "3.5" and fourth for "4.0". we rock.)

> of "KDE Community releases KWin 4.2, Plasma 4.2, Kontact 4.2..."

i think we can all agree that would suck =) i think it's a matter of
granularity, really.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se