List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE OS
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-22 10:35:15

On Thursday 21 August 2008, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:

> I mean, after all, we're not creating another distro to give to people to
> say "hey, this is the absolute KDE experience, don't use kubuntu or
> mandriva or fedora, use our ReallyGreat version", but we're creating here
> an ad-hoc live cd to show around at events, a distribution that we have
> full control on (look, branding, ...), and which will be for demo purposes
> only.

An event CD makes a lot of sense. KDE branding, demo data, selection of
representative apps for use at booths etc.

> To demo it at events, and, for the same reason, it should be also pointed
> to be the 'official KDE distribution' at reviewers, so that we don't look
> bad because of some distributor choices or packaging errors.

Here it becomes tricky. Many reviewers as well as most of our users will get
KDE as part of their distribution. We really don't want to get into the
business of distributions, that would be a big can of worms and we would have
to tackle so many issues we don't have resources for that we wouldn't get
good results.

But we of course should work together with distributions and make it easy for
them to put a great KDE on their products. That means providing hooks for
customization, providing artwork which is ready to use, establishing
communication channels for discussing problems and requirements, etc. We are
actually not doing a bad job with that, but there also still is room for
improvement.

> Also, I've seen quite some reviews in the last days in which some problems
> were confused as KDE 4.1 rough edges while they were just installation
> problems. And they make us look really bad and crashy.

Imagine the installation problems would be caused by the "official KDE
distribution", then reviewers would rightfully blame us for this. This is not
something we should get into.