List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE OS
From:       "Riccardo Iaconelli" <riccardo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-21 18:26:58

On Thursday 21 August 2008 19:57:18 Igor Schwarzmann wrote:
> I didn't say they would react that way, but I'm guessing it
> won't make some people happier. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmmm.... I don't really see why!
I mean, after all, we're not creating another distro to give to people to
say "hey, this is the absolute KDE experience, don't use kubuntu or mandriva
or fedora, use our ReallyGreat version", but we're creating here an ad-hoc
live cd to show around at events, a distribution that we have full control on
(look, branding, ...), and which will be for demo purposes only.

To demo it at events, and, for the same reason, it should be also pointed to
be the 'official KDE distribution' at reviewers, so that we don't look bad
because of some distributor choices or packaging errors.

I already heard quite some people complaining of the KDE look because they
tried KDE 4 on opensuse and were simply horrified by the Ozone windecoration
(and some other style choices).

Also, I've seen quite some reviews in the last days in which some problems
were confused as KDE 4.1 rough edges while they were just installation
problems. And they make us look really bad and crashy.

Providing a reliable and uniformed KDE experience for all our reviewers will
certainly help.

But, as I said, that's to review/demonstrate KDE, not to use it daily.

Bye,
-Riccardo
--
GPG key: